We joined the annual showdown
of super hairstylists
The British Hairdressing Awards summed up in a nutshell: cram the finest hairdressers in the country into the Grosvenor House Hotel, London, and watch them fight it out to be crowned top of the locks.
As the ballgowns, sharp suits and even sharper haircuts came out in force on Monday, comedian James Corden took charge of proceedings with a banter-filled display, dishing out the gongs to regional winners, specialist categories and then the biggie: British Hairdresser of the Year, which was won by Mark Leeson.
The sparkling event featured a performance from last year’s X Factor boy band Union J, while the main category finalists each put on a live show that encapsulated their photographic collection.
Special mentions go out to Charlotte Mensah who did the double and retained her Afro Hairdresser of the Year award. While Errol Douglas deserves huge applause for being nominated for a record 17th time. Yup, you read that right.
Charlotte’s striking collection (below) proved that once again her ability to manipulate natural hair and weaves is at the highest level. So our suggestion is if you’re ever in the Notting Hill area, stop by at Hair Lounge and ask for the lady herself!
Who won what? Here’s the full list below.
HJ’s British Hairdresser of the Year 2014
• Mark Leeson, Mark Leeson Hair Body & Mind, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Afro Hairdresser of the Year
• Charlotte Mensah, Hair Lounge, London
Artistic Team of the Year
• Marc Antoni, Henley-on-Thames
Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year
• Chie Sato, Toni & Guy, Covent Garden, London
Men’s Hairdresser of the Year
• Jamie Stevens, Jamie Stevens Hair London, Kensington, London
Newcomer of the Year
• Jamie Benny, RUSH Hair, London
Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year
• Clayde Baumann, D&J Ambrose, Pinner, Middlesex
Eastern Hairdresser of the Year
• Angelo Vallillo, Zullo and Holland, Nottingham
London Hairdresser of the Year
• Cos Sakkas, Toni & Guy, Sloane Square, London
Midlands Hairdresser of the Year
• Nick Malenko and Sophie Beattie, Royston Blythe, Compton, Wolverhampton
North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year
• Toni Stephenson, Hooker & Young, Darlington, County Durham
Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year
• Sharon Malcolm, Sharon Malcolm Hairdressing, Newtownards, Co. Down
North Western Hairdresser of the Year
• Brent Barlow and Rosie Binns, Ethos Hairdressing, Chorlton, Manchester
Scottish Hairdresser of the Year
• Philip Bell, Ishoka Hair and Beauty, Aberdeen
Southern Hairdresser of the Year
• Bruno Marc Giamattei, Marc Antoni, Henley-on-Thames, Berkshire
Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year
• Martin Crean, Mode, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire