Demos by Charlotte Mensah and the launch of a new multi-purpose product top off the brand’s birthday milestone
When a hair care brand like Mizani invites you to celebrate their 10th anniversary (and with the promise of unveiling a new do-it-all product, no less) it’s a no-brainer.
At the glitzy affair yesterday called ‘Curl Power’ at L’Oréal HQ in west London, we joined beauty bloggers including Laila Jean, aka Fusion of Cultures, and Frédérique Tietcheu of I Go By Frankie, to hail a decade’s-worth of Afro hair amazingness. Lovers of the much-lauded True Textures range or fans of Supreme Oil will be hoping Mizani continues to deliver top-drawer haircare for women of colour.
On the night itself, the main event saw a hushed crowd educated and entertained by Afro Hairdresser of the Year 2014, Charlotte Mensah. Demonstrating on a model with natural, tightly-coiled hair, Charlotte showed off their latest hair hero, Miracle Milk, a leave-in treatment with 25 benefits. Yes, 25! To prove just how nourishing the product is Charlotte created a straw set. For those of you who don’t know, a straw set gives you super-defined curls by simply using drinking straws!
Once the model’s 4c type hair was dried, the straws were removed, and the results were amazing! The curls were bouncy and soft to the touch. Although it’s not due to launch until September 2015, we can bring you all the need-to-know details.
Infused with coconut oil, this bottle of magic can be used to hydrate dry locks, strengthen damaged hair, control frizz and add shine. Made for both natural and relaxed hair, it can also be used as a detangler and cutting lotion. And it smells great too. With so many uses, it might just be your ticket to curbing those product-hoarding ways.
The outcome left everyone eager to get some tips from the hair guru herself. Want to know more? Here are Charlotte’s rules for healthy and beautiful Afro hair.
- Water is used to hydrate natural hair, but constantly adding water just makes the hair drier. Try using oils.
- Contrary to popular belief, there can be more than 6-7 textures on one head. To believe your hair can only be one type is not true.
- If you have dry hair, it’s definitely worth investing in a silk scarf to wear at night.
- Create a proper maintenance plan that works for your hair.
- If you have curly hair, you don’t always have to use a brush. Finger combing can help to reduce unwanted frizz.
- There is no need to wash your hair every day, instead wash your hair no more than twice a week. If you regularly visit the gym, then rinse the hair with water after a workout.
- Stop expecting your hair to be what it is not. If your hairstyle changes the day after it was done, wear it that way. Work with what you have.